Social Workers

Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) 2004 outlines services required to assist a child with a disability to best benefit from special education. Social work services in schools and parent counseling and training are among those services.

Intermediate Unit 1 social workers assist students at all grade levels in school districts, Intermediate Unit 1 campus schools, or specific Therapeutic Emotional Support classrooms. Districts’ need for social worker services are assessed and met annually. In 1997–1998 IU1 employed six social workers. Today, Intermediate Unit 1 employs 45 master level social workers serving 25 school districts. The majority of IU1 social workers are licensed and several social workers have Home and School Visitors certification. Services provided to meet Individualized Education Plan (IEP) requirements are eligible for ACCESS billing.

Social worker services offered include, but are not limited to:

  • Preparing a social or developmental history of a child with a disability
  • Preparing information for psychiatric evaluations
  • Group and individual counseling with the child and family
  • Working with parents and others on problems in a child’s home, school, or community affecting the child’s school adjustment
  • Mobilizing school and community resources
  • Participating as a member of the IU1 Crisis Team
  • Performing Functional Behavioral Assessments; assisting in developing positive behavioral intervention strategies; problem-solving with students, parents, school personnel, or community agencies; and developing coping, social, and decision-making skills
  • Assisting with the early identification of students at risk and providing early interventions
  • In Therapeutic Emotional Support classrooms, social workers provide comprehensive therapeutic support through group and individual counseling, positive behavioral supports, and case management.

Social Worker Services Referral Process

Federal regulations, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), define related services as transportation and such developmental, corrective, and other supportive services that are required to assist a child with a disability to benefit from special education, and includes speech-language pathology and audiology services, psychological services, physical and occupational therapy, recreation, including therapeutic recreation, early identification and assessment of disabilities in children, counseling services, including rehabilitation counseling, orientation and mobility services, and medical services for diagnostic or evaluation purposes. The term also includes school health services, social work services in schools, and parent counseling and training. Counseling services means services provided by qualified social workers, psychologists, guidance counselors, or other qualified personnel.

The referral process for obtaining social work intervention, outside of the evaluation process, will be as follows:

  • To initiate a request for social work services, the LEA representative or building principal should sign the Referral for Social Work Services form.
  • The social worker will contact the parent(s) and school personnel to schedule intervention(s).
  • Upon completion of the social worker's interventions, the completed Referral for Social Work Services form will be maintained by the social worker and is available upon request.

Social Work Services for Therapeutic Emotional Support (TES)

Social Work Services provide comprehensive therapeutic support through group and individual counseling, positive behavioral supports, and case management with the intention of empowering the student to succeed in his/her educational setting.


  • TES Social Workers, when notified ahead of time, will attend the IEP meeting prior to the student's enrollment in the TES program. Therapeutic goals, amount of sessions, and type of sessions (group and/or individual) will be delineated in the IEP. The TES Social Worker will obtain signed releases of information from parents and student (if over 14) to allow for IU1 communication with other support agencies. At this initial meeting, the Social Worker will obtain parent input on appropriate assessments. The TES Student Information Form will also be completed, in order to obtain current student demographic information. Level of IU1 psychiatric services will be discussed. If psychiatric services are selected, note this on the IEP. Psychiatric services will be coordinated by the Social Worker including medication checks, evaluations, etc.
  • Prior to a student's involvement in group and/or individual sessions, the Social Worker should obtain the student's current Evaluation Report (ER), IEP, Behavior Intervention Plan, Social History, and Psychiatric information.
  • Prior to student's involvement in group and/or individual sessions, the student will meet individually with the TES Social Worker. Group rules and expectations, limits to confidentiality, self-monitoring techniques, and personal goals (based on IEP goals) will be discussed. The Social Worker and student will complete the appropriate self assessments, depending upon the student's program level (elementary, middle, high).
  • The Social Worker will provide services in accordance with IEP requirements.
  • The Social Worker will provide various social skills and/or therapeutic groups within the classroom, with the classroom staff. This facilitates therapeutic rapport between staff members and students, and enhances consistency meeting specific student needs. This also helps the student(s) generalize the skills learned into the classroom setting.
  • At the end of each 9-week period during the academic year, the TES Social Workers will report the student's progress on the goals/objectives sheets of the IEP which will be copied and mailed to the district and parents/guardians.
  • When/if the parent or child requests psychiatric services during the school year (i.e., by phone and/or the Consent for Supplemental Psychiatric Treatment of a Minor form), the TES Social Worker will inform the school's LEA, so that the IEP team can reconvene and revise the IEP as appropriate. A Social History or Social History Addendum may also be completed.






For More Information

For more information about the IU1 Social Worker program, please contact:

Charisse Bowman
Supervisor of Mental Health Services
724-938-3241 ext. 246