Innovation and Design
Through continued partnerships with higher education, the Center for STEM Education provides educators with workshops, instructional resources, and professional development on creating unique and innovative classes. Students can explore creativity with new technology and get innovative at summer camps.
Camp Tech 2015
Camp Tech is a summer camp for students entering grades 3–8 in the fall of 2015. Campers will work with new and upcoming technology while gaining 21st century skills in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) learning.
Students must attend all day and will rotate through four sessions each day, beginning at 8:30 am and ending at 3:30 pm. This years’ sessions include:
- New! Flight Academy, Aeronautic Engineering: Developed with a retired United States Air Force and commercial pilot, Flight Academy puts students in the seat of piloting an aircraft with simulator software and remote controlled drones. Campers will learn about air travel and research the science, technology, engineering, and math behind successfully navigating an aircraft.
- Programming and Game Design with Scratch and Game Salad: Campers will build, program, and design various games through Scratch or Game Salad, learning programming concepts as they go.
- Revolutionary Minecraft: Campers will use technology (Minecraft, Google Earth/Maps, videos) to explore the history and architecture of Paris during the French Revolution.
- Discovering Robotics: Campers will work together in teams to solve various challenges by designing, building, programming, and testing their robotic creation.
Registration for Camp Tech 2015 is now open, register today!
To register, select the Camp Tech location below and complete the online registration form. Sessions fill quickly and space is limited to 48 participants at each site, so make sure to register early. (If the location is full please complete the Camp Tech Wait-list form). Registration fee is $150 for the week, which includes all sessions and daily snacks. Students are asked to bring a bagged lunch.
Camp Tech will be held at:
- California University of Pennsylvania at Southpointe: June 22–26
- Connellsville Area Junior High School: July 13–17
- Washington and Jefferson College: July 20–24
- Waynesburg University: August 3–7
The Camp Tech 2015 registration fee (check payment only), Photo Release Form (PDF Document), and Liability Release Form (PDF Document) must be received within two weeks of online registration to secure a spot in Camp Tech.
For more information on the 2015 Camp Tech, please contact Sarah D’Urzo at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Innovation and Design Blog connects Intermediate Unit 1’s diverse and creative resources with students, educators, and districts; assisting educators in developing innovative, forward-thinking approaches on effectively bringing design and technology into the classroom.